Lightship Nr. 10B Fladen

Built 1892 at Kockums shipyard, Malmö, Sweden

 

Dimensions

Length overall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 34.6 m

Length. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .31.5 m

Beam . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.1 m

Draft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.1m

Displacement. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 250ton

Displacement ~ fully loaded . . . . . 308 ton

Crew . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . 8 men

 

Stations

1892–1899 stationed at Fladen

1900–1929 stationed at Grisbådarna

1930–1965 stationed at Fladen

 

History

Lightships were built to serve as a beacon in waters too deep or unsuitable for lighthouse construction. These types of vessels have today mostly become obsolete and have been replaced by large automated buoys. The lightships were anchored at their station with the help of a large anchor and chain.

During the day, one or two large red orbs in the masts signaled that the lightship was in its position and at night the beacon was lit in the tower. From 1831 to 1972 there were 37 lightships at 24 stations around the coast of Sweden.

In 1967 Lightship N 10B was taken out of service and the lighthouse tower was removed.

The following year she was sold and converted to a passenger charter vessel and came to serve

on both the west and east coast of Sweden. Periodically she was used both as a floating general store and a casino.

From 1977 she laid mostly abandoned in Norrköping until new owners brought her to her present mooring on Skeppsholmen in 1987. The existing lighthouse was erected a few years later.

In 1997 she was sold again and became the

offices for Fladen Film production company. In 2010 she was bought by her present owner and has undergone a complete renovation and restoration. Her ‘second maiden voyage’ took

place in the summer of 2015.

propeller: The original propeller shaft and four blade cast iron propeller are still in use today.

Engine: Originally she was fitted with a 180 hp compound steam engine.

In 1951 it was replaced with a 200 hp two cylinder Bolinder semi-diesel, that today has been completely restored at Söderquists Mekaniska at Gräsö.

Her present engine is a 480 hp Caterpillar diesel engine.